Wednesday 11 July 2018

Week 32 Change in my practice.


What
When I look back at the 32 weeks that has just been I ask myself what has changed because in the beginning I was not fully sold on Mindlab because it seemed to promise too much. Personally I would now fully recommend it because it has subtly changed my teaching practice and it has also given me more confidence to try new digital technologies. I now also am a full time collaborator coach in the classroom. Teaching Graphics and Design lends itself to Collaboration and I now create lessons at all levels to ensure my students mix and collaborate in class, online even globally.
So What
“Often we feel that identifying a problem or a need in our practice admits a level of incompetence, however if we cannot identify the ‘problem’ that we want to address then we do not have ownership, and therefore no investment, in the learning required”(Osterman & Kottkamp, 2015). As a teacher of 20 years at a school that has professional learning groups and we are doing inquiry all year round it can become much when you think there is no need to reinvent the wheel. Being involved in Mindlab has given me fresh legs in the Industry and I now enter the classroom with that just left the seminar feeling of being vibrant and ready to change the world again. How long can I keep doing this I do not know but I am constantly trying new things. I pick myself up when I fall down. I talk to my Colleagues, listen, share advice and take advice. Mindlab has even got me to pick up some Literature on education and I now do readings for my own good not necessarily like literature reviews but more like self -education. Blogging is my big struggle but friends have given me advice and said write it and post it and do not worry about it. I will see if I can overcome that hurdle. We have been collecting student voice at our school for years but this is the first time I am actively going to share with my colleagues and find a way forward that gives that student voice life.
“Bright teachers and trainers around the world are now preparing for the challenges of the 21st century” (Dryden and Vos 1997) One of the biggest positives about my Mindlab journey is the teamwork and camaraderie of those Wednesday nights as long as those night were the meeting of all the Primary School teachers and their enthusiasm and vibe and listening to all the wonderful things they were doing in their classes was inspiring. Getting to know the other 2 members of our staff from different departments- Aron from Maths and Lance from Social Sciences was also a highlight and the Collaboration and house meetings that went on till late at night will be remembered as well as the new found friendships.
Now what
If all you got out of Mindlab was new networks I would say it is priceless as those working relationships are worth gold in the future and teachers and kids can only benefit from it. Personally I now have a network of People I can email, follow on Twitter generally just chat to about anything related to my teaching practice without fear and the feedback I receive is always helpful because I now have a growth mindset when it comes to receiving critique.


References:
Osterman, K.F. and Kottkamp, R.B. (2004) Reflective Practice for Educators: Professional Development to İmprove Student Learning. Corwin Press, Thousand Oaks.

Gordon Dryden and Dr Jeannette Vos (1998) The Learning Revolution.

Rolfe,G Freshwater D and Jasper M (2001) Critical reflection in nursing and the helping professions user guide.




2 comments:

  1. Hey Dean, I certainly appreciated our discussions and get togethers as a community of practice. How should we continue them in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must reiterate what Lance has mention about our discussions and building a community of practice. I myself have felt I was not able to truly express my gratitude for being part of the Pakuranga group. Seeing how this has created a new positive outlook and has you focused on the future, do the sessions, blogs, and weekly meetings really need to stop just because the MindLab course is over. Use this as your initiative to keep growing your learning community.

    ReplyDelete